Ways to use flower essences:
Note: Potency is increased by frequency, not by taking more drops
- 4 drops under the tongue, 4 times per day
- misting into mouth or around body
- applied topically
- added to bath water, creams, lotions, oils or perfumes
For more about Flower Essences, read about our Prairie Deva Essences.
Flower Essences: Bridging Body & Spirit
Described succinctly by Patricia Kaminski, an authority on flower essences therapy
Flower essences are:
… liquid, potentized plant preparations which convey a distinct imprint, or etheric pattern of a specific flower. Originally developed by Dr. Edward Bach, flower essences enjoy a reputation of being highly beneficial and safe to use. Because they contain only minute traces of physical substance, flower essences are not classified as biochemical medicine. They belong to a new modality of potentized remedies which derive their active powers from life forces within substances.
Flower Essences expand our understanding of health care, recognizing a relationship between body and soul, and intertwining spiritual, mental, emotional, and physical wellness. They address the subtle but very important realm of the human psyche, where thoughts and feelings emanate. Just as food sustains the human body, flowers nourish the human soul, enhancing emotional and psychological well-being.
Did you know . . .
- Wolf Willow flower essence is a wonderful way to engage your imagination and psyche to help develop boundaries around what is new in your life – call in the wild protective wolves from the four directions while using the essence and repeat what you would like protected. Have the wolves alert you if your boundary is being crossed.
- The flower essence Scleranthus is useful for people who have important decisions to make and cannot decide between two choices.
- Flower essences such as five flower, may be useful to help calm in situations as diverse as feeling overwhelmed while shopping, to getting distressing news.
Top Five Myths About Flower Essences:
- They should smell beautiful, like the floral name on the bottle suggests.
It is a little disappointing for people who mistakenly think flower essences are essential oils. Flower essences do not smell like anything except a bit of alcohol.
- If I take more flower essences I should get a better result.
Calibrating the essences is important. Some people will find too much quantity of a flower essence taken too frequently will cause their self awareness to be too strong and uncomfortable. Dial down the quantity you taken and the number of times you take the essence throughout the day to calm this feeling. You are in control of taking the amount and frequency that agrees with you. Some people only require a few drops of essence per week. The usual dose is 4 drops, 4 X per day and create a sacred time around taking them, so your intent can be amplified with the process.
- Essences should affect everyone the same way.
While it seems to be true that flower essences will affect many people in a similar way, there is much individual variation. The variation stems from the difference in individual perception, sensitivities and timing. People seem to have affinities to certain plants and some plants seem to be stronger allies for some individuals. Techniques like, journaling, meditating, body scanning, mindfulness and dream work can help heighten awareness and insight, while embarking on a flower essence adventure.
- Essences are just for people.
Some vets and animal lovers and owners find they get fabulous results with the flower essences. Some users say that the animals have less resistance to the idea of taking essences and respond more directly. If you use flower essences with your cats or dogs, try putting a drop of the essence in their water bowl. Some people also have had great results using the essences on plants as well. Try a few drops of five flower when transplanting, it might reduce root shock.
- Flower essences only work if they are taken internally.
Some people prefer to make a spray bottle with essences and water and lightly dust their “aura” with this. Others like flower essences in the bath, or apply to pulse points on the skin.